Friday, January 21, 2011

White Chicken Chili

This recipe comes from my cousin-in-law, Cydney. As a bonus, it is gluten- free. I made one adjustment to the recipe since we were making it for friends and one of them doesn't eat beans. So below is the recipe just as Cydney shared it with me. Below that I will add my very teeny adjustment.

white chicken chili

3 cups cooked and diced chicken breast
1/2 cup onion finely chopped
2 cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained (i've also used black, which was DE-licious, but kinda takes away from the "white chili" name. i guess you could call it "black and white chili", but that doesn't sound as appetizing)
2 cans chicken broth
1 can (7 oz) chopped green chilis **(I used two 4 oz cans because I couldn't find 7 oz cans)
1 cup frozen corn *optional
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt or regular salt
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup half & half
shredded cheese for topping

cook the chicken, set it aside and let it cool, then cube it. in the same pan, cook the onion until tender, then add 1 can of broth mixed with the corn starch to make a "gravy". in the crockpot goes the chicken, gravy, other can of broth, beans, chili, and seasonings. cook this on low for 3-5 hours. just before serving add the corn, sour cream, and half&half and make sure it's heated through before serving. yum! top with shredded cheese and tortilla chips, if you so desire.

** As a substitute for the beans, I cooked white rice according to package directions (it was 1 3/4 C. water, salt, butter, and 1 cup rice, supposed to = approx. 3 C. cooked rice) and added it to the crock pot when I added the sour cream and half & half. It turned out really well. I may play around with some beans and some rice in future variations, but suffice it t say, we did not miss the beans! This was super yummy, super easy chili. I anticipate it will be a staple at our house, just like Cyd says it is at hers.

1 comment:

  1. Em, This was so good when you made it for us. I'm gonna make it myself. :)
    DR

    ReplyDelete