Thursday, November 4, 2010

Chocolate Chip Oat Scones

This recipe is from our dear friends Melanie and Mei. It's a favorite at our house for breakfast or anytime. Also really good warmed up if you can't eat them right out of the oven.

2/3 C. margarine or butter, melted (I always use butter, margarine does not exist to me.)
1/3 C. milk
1 egg
1/4 C. granulated sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/4 C. oats
1 1/2 C. flour
chocolate chips (I use milk or a mixture of milk and dark)

In a medium bowl, mix butter, milk, and egg together with a wooden spoon. Stir in sugar, baking powder, and cream of tartar. The mixture will start to look a little bubbly. Stir in oats and then flour. Add as many chocolate chips as you want. Pat dough into a circle (I usually do it on parchment paper on a baking sheet so I can just bake right on there). Cut it into 8 triangles (no need to cut all the way through the dough, just score it). Bake on cookie sheet or baking stone at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. do you use just normal rolled oats? or instant? so excited about this recipe being published :)... as I've been meaning to ask you for it for ages. Although, you do know on my end, I will spoil it w/ craisins or raisens rather than the chocolate :)... heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrissie, I use regular oats, simple old generic or quaker oats (not instant). There is no excuse for putting raisins in baked goods... but I'll allow it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I make these all the time - yummo :-) I've used any kind of oats, and either whole wheat or white flour, and I also use only 1/2 cup of butter because using just one stick is faster than cutting a bit off of another stick of butter. I also generally make them in a pie plate. A little less "scone-like" but still delicious! Its practically impossible to mess these up.

    ReplyDelete