Sunday, November 7, 2010

Cottage Pie

Tried another new recipe for dinner tonight. It was very good... meat, potatoes, vegetables, all in there... but I felt like it could have used a little more flavor. So I may try a few more spices next time I make it. I didn't have the fresh thyme that the recipe called for, so I just used some dried-- that might have been part of what was missing.

3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
1 large yellow onion, diced medium
2 large carrots, cut into 3/4 in. pieces
coarse salt and black pepper
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 lb. ground beef or lamb (I used ground beef, magazine also suggests using left over turkey from Thanksgiving)
2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1 C. dark (porter) beer
2 Tbsp. all- purpose flour
3/4 C. frozen peas (I added more than this).
1 large russet potato, very thinly sliced

** I also added some sliced leeks because I had them. I thought it was too watery after it was done baking, and might leave out the extra cup of water next time.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp butter over medium- high. Add onion and carrots and cook, stirring often, until onion is soft, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in tomato paste. Add meat and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until almost cooked through, 3 minutes. Add thyme and beer and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring frequently, until slightly reduced, 2 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir to combine. Add 1 C. water and cook until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in peas and season with salt and pepper.

2. Transfer mixture to a 2- quart baking dish. Top with potatoes, overlapping slices. Season potatoes with salt and pepper and drizzle with 2 Tbsp. melted butter. Bake until potatoes are browned around the edges and tender when pierced with a knife, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment