Thursday, November 18, 2010

Green Chili- Chicken Casserole

Today's recipe is not what we had for dinner (we had spaghetti at Great Grandma's), but this is a super- duper- uper- shmuper favorite of our family. Well, at least of Caleb and I. Phin doesn't like it, but, then, he doesn't like anything. I used to make this ALL THE TIME when we lived in CA and before kids. And it's still a go- to, especially when I want to make something I know Caleb likes.

This recipe is from Cooking Light. It's ages old.

1 1/3 C. chicken broth
1 C. chopped green chiles, drained
1 C. chopped onion (I usually just chop a medium onion and don't worry about measuring it)
1 C. sour cream (being a cooking light recipe, it calls for fat free, but I have no use for most anything fat free in cooking/ baking)
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 (10 1/2 oz) cans condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 garlic clove, minced
24 (6- in.) corn tortillas
4 C. shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 lb)
2 C. (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350º.

Combine the first 9 ingredients (through the garlic) in a large saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Spread 1 C. of the soup mixture in a 13 x 9 in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 6 tortillas over the soup mixture and top with 1 C. chicken and 1/2 C. cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese. Spread remaining soup mixture over the top. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

***Notes: I often use a store bought rotisserie chicken that I clean and shred. If also like more chicken than not in the casserole. Sometimes, if I'm short on chicken or just for fun, I add some drained and rinsed black beans with the chicken when I'm layering. Also, I never measure as I'm layering. I just eyeball it until I run out of stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment