Saturday, November 20, 2010

Jerk Chicken Chili

Made this chili for dinner this evening using a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store that I cleaned and shredded this afternoon. This was a super simple, quick recipe to prepare. I only got 4 cups of shredded chicken off the bird I had (instead of the 6 cups required by the recipe), so I only made a half batch. This was plenty of chili with enough for Caleb and I to have another meal. A full batch would be enough for 2 meals or entertaining. Also, since I had more than half the amount of chicken, it made the chili thicker, which I liked. I did use the cornmeal/ water slurry at the end to thicken it up, but depending on how thick you like your chili, you might not need it. I got this recipe over at Smells Like Home, and she adapted it from Pam Anderson's One Dish Dinners. I have to admit, I didn't like the smell of this chili while it was cooking, but it sure did taste good when I tried it.

1 tbsp olive oil

1 large yellow onion, chopped

1 yellow bell pepper, chopped

3 tbsp chili powder

1 1/2 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground allspice

1 large rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded (about 6 cups)

4 cups chicken broth

1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes

1 can (15 oz) black beans, undrained or partially drained

1 can (15 oz) small white beans, undrained or partially drained

2 tbsp chopped pickled jalapenos

3 large garlic cloves, minced

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 oz semisweet chocolate

2 tbsp cornmeal or 3 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water (optional for thickening)

1.Heat oil in a large pot over medium- high heat.

2. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes.

3. Add chili powder, thyme, cinnamon, and allspice. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute.

4. Add chicken and stir to coat with spices. Add broth, tomatoes, beans, and jalapenos, bring to a boil, cover partially, reduce heat, and simmer to blend flavors, about 20 minutes.

5. Stir in garlic, cilantro, chocolate, and either cornmeal or cornstarch/water slurry if desired. If you add the cornstarch slurry, bring the heat up to medium-high and allow the chili to thicken. Turn off the heat and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment